clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

BYU Women's Soccer: A pair of Cougars play to an overtime tie.

After two overtimes BYU and Washington State ended in a 0-0 tie after incredible defense spoiled the Cougars home opener.

Jaiden Thornock prepares for a shot.
Jaiden Thornock prepares for a shot.
BYU Photo/Jaren Wilkey

On a perfect night for soccer at South Field, a pair of Cougars fought hard and into the final minutes before both teams had nothing left and the game ended in a 0-0 tie after two overtimes.  Both teams are in the top 30 of the nation as BYU is ranked 22nd and Washington State is just outside the top 25.  The game was physical from the start and both teams played hard and didn't want to give up any ground to their opponents.  BYU came in after a 1-1 overtime tie against Cal State Fullerton on the road and came back to Provo to open their home season.  Washington State dominated their first game as they beat TCU 3-0.  WSU fields one of the best goalkeepers in the country in Gurveen Clair, who has recorded 35 wins, with 25 of them being shutouts.

BYU played the aggressor most of the game, but shot after shot was defended by Clair, who ended up with nine saves on the night.  The Cougars led the shots in the first half with 10, six of them being on goal.  WSU had seven, with five being on goal.  The teams played fairly evenly in the second half, but it seemed that the BYU goalkeepers had an easier time with their saves.  BYU missed golden opportunities on a number of occasions, but much of the credit goes to the Washington State defense.

BYU played two goalies for the second straight game as senior Katherine Snyder started the game and played the first half, recording five saves.  Freshman Hannah Clark came in for the second half and both overtimes, recording two saves.  With the NCAA opting to go with the "Golden Goal" approach to overtime; both teams realized that the pressure was on as the first team to score would win.  The intensity continued to mount throughout the first 100 minutes, and going into the 2nd overtime,  as neither team wanted to take the loss.

In the second overtime the teams seemed to be a bit tired as both teams failed to find good shots on goal.  Washington State kept the ball on the BYU side of the field for most the majority of the overtime, but were unable to take advantage of corner kicks and seemingly open shots.  Substitutions in the final minutes looked to find some sort of offense, and find the elusive goal, however, it was not in the cards as the game ended in a 0-0 tie.

The last time BYU started the season winless after two games was in 2004.  The Cougars have yet to lose, but they will look back at missed opportunities and try to improve in their finishes.

BYU will next play at Tennessee on August 29th at 5pm MDT before coming home on September 1st to face Baylor at 1 pm MDT.