clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Two games, two draws for BYU Men's Soccer

After a draw on Saturday the Cougars once again found themselves tied when the clock ran out at South field on Tuesday.

Garrett Gee follows the ball against Colorado
Garrett Gee follows the ball against Colorado
Kevin Kennedy

On Saturday the Cougars looked to make up some ground in the standings as they faced off against Real Colorado for the second game in as many nights. The Cougars were fighting for their first win of the PDL season but rain and a very wet field did them no favors as they fought an uphill battle. The Foxes scored first in the 29th minute and put the pressure on the Cougars. The BYU offense had their chances to tie in the first half as they took 10 shots, but couldn't find the net.

The two teams played physical all game but the Cougars continued to struggle to find the net. BYU once again used the second half to attack the net but it took until the 80th minute for the Cougars to put points on the board, and that took a penalty kick from Dallin Cutler. With the draw the Cougars gained a point in the standing but it was not enough to move them up in the standings and they continued to occupy the bottom of the Mountain Division.

On Tuesday the Cougars had another chance to move up as they played the fourth place team, the Las Vegas Mobsters, with only two points between them. The first half once again provided numerous chances for both teams to score but missed chances left the game scoreless into the stoppage time. With little time left in the half, a mistake by the Cougars defense led to a free shot just outside the box for the Mobsters. What followed was a superb bending shot that found it's way just inside the post gave Las Vegas a 1-0 halftime lead.

The second half turned out to be much more exciting but again the teams failed to score well into the 77th minute. Just a minute earlier Ryan Botcherby subbed into the game for the Cougars and made an immediate impact. Running down the left side of the field, Botcherby crossed the kick across his body and to the right goal past and past the Mobsters defense, tying the game at one. Just two minutes later the Cougars took their first lead of the game as Dallin Cutler scored his second goal in as many games with a dead center rebound kick. With the crowd feeling the energy of a win within their grasps the players on both side picked up the intensity. In the 82nd minute disaster struck for the Cougars as the Mobsters scored the equalizer on their own rebound goal and neither team would find the net again.

With the draw the Cougars are now 0-2-4 with all four draws coming in consecutive games. The Cougars will stay home to play on Thursday as they host division leading Albuquerque at 7:30 pm.