New BYU Football defensive coordinator Ilaisa Tuiaki begins to fill in the shoes of Bronco Mendenhall. Mendenhall caused disagreements among Cougar fans on every front except one — Bronco knew his stuff on the defensive side of the ball.
Tuiaki has already made a big change from the Bronco era. The Cougars are now playing a 4-3 defensive scheme. Will BYU keep points off the board in 2016?
PLUS, if you are a subscriber to the podcast you would get a bonus podcast this week. I had the pleasure of discussing the announcement of Taysom Hill as the starting quarterback with my Dad. Subscribe now and check that out!
In this episode of CougarCast:
- How do you replace a defensive genius? (2:30)
- What a 4-3 defense will give the Cougars? (4:10)
- Which defensive group makes Tosh the most confident? The defensive backs. (6:15)
- The different job BYU is asking its cornerbacks to do this season. (9:45)
- Will the new defensive scheme generate turnovers and big plays? (13:00)
- The linebackers are solid, but are unproven -- outside of Fred Warner. (14:30)
- The defensive line is critical -- as is getting Travis Tuiloma healthy again! (17:30)
- The treachery of playing without confidence in your kicking game. (23:00)
- Punt and kick returners will be guys that actually should be returning kicks and punts! (27:50)
- The return of practicing tackling! (29:45)
About the Show
2002 Daily Herald Utah County Name of the Year Award Winner Tosh Mackintosh and Keith Shirts are two friends who bond over BYU Sports. Obsessed, passionate, and opinionated, they chop it up over BYU Hoops and Football.
Here are a few iTunes reviews of the show. Please add yours.
Email the show: CougarCast@gmail.com
Follow @CougarCast on Twitter