For the first time this season, the BYU Cougar football team is playing an opponent outside of the Power 5 conferences. This Friday, LaVell Edwards Stadium welcome from the Mid-American Conference the Toledo Rockets.
The 1-3 Cougars have had trouble finding enough plays during the past 3 weeks and have suffered narrow defeats. The Rockets come in to the game undefeated. Toledo faces a step up in their competition and are hungry to pick up a victory to take another step toward proving their rising place in the world of college football.
In this episode:
- Tosh and Keith investigate the “BYU needs to learn how to win close games” narrative. (1:30)
- Everything going on can be explain by human’s natural fear of death (6:00)
- The 2016 season is a season of what ifs (11:15)
- Listener email: How effective would a Kalani Sitake/Ilaisa Tuiaki defense be with 2015’s personnel? How would Ty Detmer’s offense be with 2015 personnel? (12:15)
- The Toledo Rockets are impressive and give plenty of reasons to be nervous before Friday’s game. Their game against BYU is their biggest game of the season. (17:00)
- The Toledo offense is led by the outstanding quarterback Logan Woodside (19:45)
- Friday is Toledo’s opportunity to prove they are for real. They’ve played a soft schedule thus far. (23:30)
- Toledo WR Cody Thompson is a big play receiver with his 11 catches for an AVERAGE of 32.8 yards per catch. BYU has only 1 pass completion over 32.8 yards this season.
- Toledo TE Michael Roberts is their target in the red zone. He has 5 receiving touchdowns this season. BYU has 4 receiving touchdowns as a team.
- Toledo RB Kareem Hunt provides balance to the offense on the ground and has NFL Draft buzz.
- The unheralded Toledo defense is #16 in S&P+. They have a tough defensive line with Treyvon Hester, John Stepec, and Olasbunkanmi Adeniyi who provide problems. (26:30)
- Advance stats suggest that Toledo has the worst special teams in the country. (29:30)
- The biggest change that led to more offensive success for BYU against West Virginia was handing the ball off the Jamaal Williams. (31:15)
- Ten for Tosh! (35:45)
- General Conference predictions (44:35)
- Keith’s game and score predictions (48:15)
- Tosh’s game and score predictions (49:35)
- This Toledo game is a must win for BYU (51:00)
About the Show
2002 Daily Herald Utah County Name of the Year Award Winner Tosh Mackintosh and Keith Shirts are two friends who bond over BYU Sports. Obsessed, passionate, and opinionated, they chop it up over BYU Hoops and Football.
Here are a few iTunes reviews of the show. Please add yours.
Email the show: CougarCast@gmail.com
Follow @CougarCast on Twitter