Football season is here! BYU wrapped up the first day of spring practices Monday morning in year three of the Kalani Sitake era.
We’ll get right to the highlights:
Here is the updated spring ball roster:
Roster! pic.twitter.com/GcyJ0EDa7c— Brandon Gurney (@BrandonCGurney) March 5, 2018
- Offensive lineman Ului Lapuaho is on the roster. Lapuaho was not on the team last year due to injury issues, but is back on the team as a fifth-year senior. Lapuaho last played in the Utah game in September 2016. Injury issues, specifically to his knees, are the biggest concerns for Lapuaho, but he would be a nice piece to the interior of BYU’s offensive line if he can stay healthy. Lapuaho is listed at 6-7, 340 pounds.
I saw @ulapuaho’s knees today. Pray for these knees cougar nation. Pray for them to make it today... pic.twitter.com/qvVsxt10H6— Benjamin Criddle (@CriddleBenjamin) March 5, 2018
- Fifth-year senior Trey Dye has moved to WR. After playing at RB last year, Dye is officially listed as a WR. Dye had his moments catching the ball last year, most notably 3 receptions and a TD catch versus Utah, so slot receiver seems like the best fit for him.
- Matthew Hadley applied for a medical redshirt after playing in the first 5 games last year as a senior, and it appears that the staff is expecting that redshirt to be granted from the NCAA. Hadley started at outside linebacker last year, and he is listed as linebacker again on the roster.
- Mo Langi is below 400 pounds! After being listed at 410 pounds last season, Langi is at a slim 397 pounds. Langi participated in 4 games last year before injuring his knee and has received a medical redshirt, making him a redshirt freshman this year.
- DT Tevita Mo’unga has received a medical redshirt and will be a redshirt junior.
- After undergoing surgery to repair his achilles tendon, QB Tanner Mangum was participating in a limited capacity. Tanner was dressed and making throws, but OC Jeff Grimes said that he won’t be full speed until summer.
: @BYUfootball OC Jeff Grimes on Senior QB @tannermangum: "It will really be the summer until he can be full speed" pic.twitter.com/FHH4Wngk0f— Brandon Judd (@brandonljudd) March 5, 2018
- Beau Hoge didn’t seem to be limited, as he was participating in drills and making throws:
: @BYUfootball Junior QB Beau Hoge (@BHoge22) to Junior WR Aleva Hifo (@AHifo7) pic.twitter.com/JmOUD5p5W3— Brandon Judd (@brandonljudd) March 5, 2018
- Other QB Notes:
: @BYUfootball Freshman QB Zach Wilson (@zachkapono) to Sophomore TE Matt Bushman (@Bushman1Matt) @CCHSFOOTBALL_ pic.twitter.com/fciEmHAbGN— Brandon Judd (@brandonljudd) March 5, 2018
Beau Hoge, Zach Wilson, and Stacy Conner have the best arms in the QB room. Mistakes were made though by pretty much everyone. The QB debate will take some time. #BYU— Mitch Harper (@Mitch_Harper) March 5, 2018
: @BYUfootball quarterback Joe Critchlow after today's first spring practice— Brandon Judd (@brandonljudd) March 5, 2018
"The mindset is just growth, is improvement" pic.twitter.com/P3xmUkVwVV
Other News and Notes
- BYU released its 15-practice schedule, which is capped off by a Saturday scrimmage open to the public:
Spring Football Schedule ...#BYUFOOTBALL #GoCougs pic.twitter.com/5sqM6P5Qce— BYU Football (@BYUfootball) March 5, 2018
- After having morning practices last season, BYU will move to afternoon practices in hopes of reducing injuries:
“I just don’t think that college kids go to bed before midnight, and they wake up and don’t have anything in their stomach — they’re not hydrated, and I think that’s where you can eliminate a lot of the issues with injuries in practice.”-Sitake— Brandon Gurney (@BrandonCGurney) March 5, 2018
- Redshirt freshman WR Tariq Buchanan had a nice day, which included a TD catch from Kody Wilstead. Buchanan is a speedy receiver from Texas.
Some quick hits from the open portion of practice. I'll give the notes in order that I took them: Austin Lee with an INT; Baylor Romney TD pass to Inoke Lotulelei; Wilstead TD pass to Tariq Buchanan; Tapusoa with an impressed pass knockdown in coverage...— Brandon Gurney (@BrandonCGurney) March 5, 2018
Players that stood out to me from Day 1:— Mitch Harper (@Mitch_Harper) March 5, 2018
- Austin Lee
- Michael Shelton
- Tristen Hoge
- Tariq Buchanan
- Dayan Ghanwoloku#BYU
- Starting LT Thomas Shoaf has struggled to gain weight, but he is up to 288 pounds after being listed at 275 pounds last season.
BYU OL Thomas Shoaf's quest to gain weight is seemingly working; He's now listed at 288 pounds. Meanwhile, DL Motekiai Langi has dropped under 400 pounds (397) and is listed as a redshirt freshman.— Jay Drew (@drewjay) March 5, 2018