Cougs on Cougs the weekly show is still on hiatus, but Jess and Mary will still be contributing some of their segments in article form. A favorite segment of theirs is, “Along the Trail to Fame and Glory,” where they get suggestions on things to do and places to eat for the Cougar faithful that turn up in droves for away games.
This week, BYU Football will play in an afternoon game against the Wisconsin Badgers. Have no idea what to do near Madison, Wisconsin? We’ve got you covered with some helpful tips from Mary’s sister, Anjuli, and soon-to-be brother-in-law, Michael, who live about an hour away from Madison and have visited a lot. Click the links for more complete info.
If you have any additional suggestions or questions, leave them in the comments below!
Things to do:
- Farmer’s Market: Every Saturday morning there is a farmer’s market on the Capitol square right downtown off of State street. It’s huge! There are tons of vendors, plenty of great food, fresh flowers, etc. It’s from 6:15 a.m. - 1:45 p.m., so you could go before the game.
- Memorial Union Terrace: This is one of the main “student union centers” on campus, but the terrace is right on Lake Mendota. There is plenty of seating, indoor and outdoor, gorgeous views of the lake and the boats close by. There is food and really great ice cream as well! Daily Scoop serves Babock dairy ice cream, which is delicious.
- State Street: This is one of the main attractions of Madison. A long row of fantastic shopping and restaurants, easily walkable and really pretty. The road leads directly to the Capitol so you could do this before or after the farmer’s market!
- There are also botanical gardens and a zoo around the area as well that are supposed to be great! Olbrich Botanical Gardens and Henry Vilas Zoo.
Places to eat:
- Short Stack: This is an excellent 24-hour diner that serves breakfast all the time! Really great spot, right off state street, with great food.
- HopCat Madison: A more casual brew-pup atmosphere with some of the best fries in the world -- Crack Fries.
View this post on Instagram
Today, #FridayThe13th is both #NationalFrenchFryDay and a perfect time to join our CatPack loyalty program. Any member who visits 7/13, orders an upgrade to our famous Crack Fries - Loaded, Sloppy or Vladimir Poutine - gets 25 bonus points. To join, simply text the word "catpack" to the number 73757 followed by your email address. Learn more here: https://hopcat.com/catpack-loyalty-program