Coach Sitake and select players spoke to the media Monday afternoon looking ahead to the Utah State game. We highlighted some of the depth chart and personnel changes from the last game versus Boise State
- Quarterback: Coach Sitake described Zach Wilson as “doubtful” for Saturday’s game and said the sophomore QB is ahead of schedule in his recovery. No public timeline has been given for his return, but we could see Zach as early as November 9 versus Liberty.
As far as the other QBs, Jaren Hall is expected to be healthy and ready to play versus Utah State. Coaches declined to name a starter yet between Hall and Baylor Romney, instead saying they likely won’t publicly name a starter until shortly before kickoff. Hall and Romney are listed once again with an “or” on the depth chart.
- Running Back: Emmanuel Esukpa has been banged up the last couple weeks and will be back this week. Lopini Katoa and Sione Finau both had nice games versus Boise State, making all three running backs have an “or” designation on the depth chart.
- Offensive line: BYU was down four offensive lineman versus Boise State, but showed its depth at that group with a good showing versus the Broncos. Grimes gave the following updates on the offensive line: Senior Thomas Shoaf is “done for sure” according to Grimes and won’t be returning this year; sources tell Vanquish the Foe that he suffered an ACL tear versus South Florida. Kieffer Longson could return “maybe at some point” but will miss the Utah State game. Keanu Saleapaga “is probably the most likely to get back sooner rather than later.. not sure if we’ll get him back this week or not.” Saleapaga has been the starter at right tackle most of the season and was replaced by true freshman Blake Freeland. Tristen Hoge “is still an unknown as well.. We could get him back in a week or two, we may not get him back at all (this season).”
- Defensive Line: BYU switched Bracken El-Bakri from DT to starting defensive end on the depth chart, with Zac Dawe and Alden Tofa listed as his backups. Lorenzo Fauatea is starting defensive tackle alongside Khyiris Tonga. At the opposite defensive end spot, Devin Kaufusi replaced Trajan Pili as starter, and is backed up by Uriah Leiataua.
- Defensive Backs: Dayan Ghanwoloku got his first start of the season at safety versus Boise State, and is reflected as the starting strong safety. Isaiah Herron and D’Angelo Mandell are at the right cornerback spot and Beau Tanner and Shamon Willis are on the opposite side.