BYU Football is here! Day one of practice is in the books as the team prepares for the 2019 season. Here are some of the highlights after the first practice.
Notable Roster Notes
- Neil Pau’u- Pau’u is still on the BYU roster, but will redshirt this year according to Coach Sitake. He will have two years of eligibility of remaining beginning in 2020.
Kalani Sitake said WR Neil Pau’u will redshirt this season. Pau’u, who pleaded guilty to impaired driving, was at first practice and will be enrolled in school this year and will be part of the team, but won’t play.— Jay Drew (@drewjay) August 1, 2019
- Navy linebacker transfer Pepe Tanuvasa is now on the roster. Tanuvasa played in all 13 games for Navy last year and recorded 32 tackles. Tanuvasa is a redshirt sophomore and presumably have to sit this season due to NCAA transfer rules.
- Joe Tukuafu is officially on the roster as a tight end. Tukuafu was not on the team after redshirting in 2017 (Thanks, Matt Wells). He is a redshirt sophomore.
- Beau Hoge is no longer on the team and has medically retired.
- Beau Tanner is back as a defensive back after not being on the team in 2018. Tanner played WR in 2017 and has 12 catches for 135 yards and 1 TD. Tanner is probably one of the faster players on the team and will look to make an impact in his final season.
- Utah OL transfer Mo Unutoa is offically listed. Unuota will have to sit this season.
- Zach Wilson was back as expected. Coach Sitake said that he has no worries about Zach he think he’s “really close.” Here is Zach’s full interview with the media.
Zach Wilson #BYU #GoCougs #BYUFootball #CampKalani #ESPN960 https://t.co/7INblOy7pH— Benjamin Criddle (@CriddleBenjamin) August 1, 2019
- Other notes from media members at camp:
Kavika Fonua is listed as a running back on BYU’s initial camp roster, but has been moved to linebacker and is competing with Jackson Kaufusi and Max Tooley got starting middle lb spot.— Jay Drew (@drewjay) August 1, 2019
Day 1 camp news and notes: Kavika Fonua has moved from RB back to defense at ILB...Kalani says WR Neil Pau’u is in school, is on the team but will not play this fall...TE Joe Tukuafu is back with the Cougs...coach Ed Lamb says kicker Jake Oldroyd uncorked a 65-yard punt today...— Greg Wrubell (@gregwrubell) August 1, 2019
Kalani Sitake Day 1 #BYU #GoCougs #BYUFootball #CampKalani #ESPN960 https://t.co/a9x2disgS8— Benjamin Criddle (@CriddleBenjamin) August 1, 2019
Had a few people ask me about Masen Wake from Lone Peak (The next Brayden El-Bakri)— Benjamin Criddle (@CriddleBenjamin) July 31, 2019
He's on the roster and attending fall camp.
He's gotta find a spot on special teams. I'm hoping kick-off cover. #BYU #ESPN960 #GoCougs #BYUFootball pic.twitter.com/e7mmBKKX9n