Coach Sitake and select players spoke to the media Monday afternoon looking ahead to the Washington game. We highlighted some of the depth chart and personnel changes from last week’s game versus USC.
- Offense: The depth chart on the offensive side of the ball remained exactly the same.
- Redshirt Freshman Isaiah Herron is officially listed as the starting cornerback opposite of Dayan Ghanwoloku. Herron missed the Utah game due to injury but has increased his snap count the past two games and finished the USC game with five total tackles. D’Angelo Mandell and Dimitri Gallow are both listed as the number two guys behind Herron.
- Lopini Katoa became the main kick returner after the Utah game and is now listed as the main guy along with Dax Milne and Tyler Allgeier.
Injuries and Personnel Notes
- BYU is a bit banged up on defense with Zayne Anderson, Sawyer Powell, Keenan Pili, Isaiah Kaufusi, Austin Lee and Chaz Ah You all getting nicked up before or during the USC game. Kalani declined to comment on specific injuries saying “we haven’t lost anyone for the year.” Reading between the lines, it seems like some of those guys will be limited Saturday, but we don’t know for sure. All those players got playing time during USC and we should see most, if not all of them, versus Washington.
- While Ty’Son Williams will continue to get the majority of the carries, Jeff Grimes mentioned in Coordinator’s Corner that fellow graduate transfer Emmanuel Esukpa has gotten healthier the past couple weeks and will continue to be part of the offense. Esukpa had some nice blitz pickups versus USC and a few good carries in limited action the past two games.
- Players of the game: Ilaisa Tuiaki named Dayan Ghanwoloku, Payton Wilgar, Khyiris Tonga and Lorenzo Fauatea as defensive players of the game. Grimes named Ty’Son Williams as the offensive player of the game and Max Tooley got the special teams nod. Grimes mentioned that left tackle Brady Christensen was the highest graded offensive lineman and right tackle Keanu Saleapaga had the best game of his career.
The full press conference from Coach Sitake, Gunner Romney, Ty’Son Williams and Lorenzo Fauatea can be watched here.