Coach Sitake and select players spoke to the media Monday afternoon looking ahead to the Toledo game. We highlighted some of the depth chart and personnel changes from last week’s game versus Washington.
- Running Back: Ty’Son Williams is out for the season with an ACL tear, so Emmanuel Esukpa and Lopini Katoa are listed as co-starters as running back. Based on what we’ve seen through the first four games, Esukpa will likely get more carries and Katoa more targets in the passing game. Tyler Allgeier switched over to running back this week and forced a fumble, and Kalani said the staff will evaluate moving forward how they’ll use Allgeier. Other RBs on the roster include Sione Finau, Ausitin McChesney, JUCO transfer Alec Wyble-Meza, Morgan Pyper and Chase Wester.
- Defensive Line: Bracken El-Bakri is ahead of Lorenzo Fauatea at DT without the “OR” designation. Regardless, Fauatea will still be a main player on the D-Line moving forward.
- Inside Linebacker: Tyler Allgeier is reflected as a backup middle linebacker after getting time there Saturday for the first time in his career. Allgeier recorded 2 tackles and 1 forced fumble that BYU recovered.
- Outside Linebacker: Austin Kafentzis moved over from safety to linebacker and is listed as 3rd-string flash linebacker. We also saw Kafentzis versus USC as the QB in the scrum formation.
- Safety: With Zayne Anderson out for the season with a shoulder injury, Austin Lee is now the starting free safety. Beau Tanner and Sawyer Powell are co-starters at strong safety, with Hayden Livingston behind them.
Injuries and Personnel Notes
- Ty’Son Williams and Zayne Anderson: Both players are out for the season, and many have wondered if they’ll be able to receive a sixth-year waiver. Anderson is more likely of the two since he used his redshirt last year for injury reasons.
Williams is less likely since his redshirt happened as a result of him transferring from UNC to South Carolina in 2016. Based on NCAA precedent, Williams is unlikely to get one while Zayne has a strong case.
- Moroni Laulu-Pututau re-aggravated his knee during practice last week and didn’t play versus Washington. Jeff Grimes was hopeful on “Coordinators’ Corner” that MLP would be back and part of the offense versus Toledo.
- Players of the week, according to BYU coaches: Brady Christensen (offense), Max Tooley (defense) and Skyler Southam (Special Team).