After a phenomenal season with a disappointing end (you know, the potential single-digit seed for March Madness then having that cancelled, ugh), BYU Basketball will make its return to play Wednesday night at the Marriott Center against the Griffins of Westminster. The game will be the first of three (potentially, depending on UVU’s COVID situation) this week and it comes following Tuesday night’s news of a big contract extension through 2026-27 of Head Coach Mark Pope.
Though BYU will be without some key starters from last season’s squad, like Yoeli Childs, TJ Haws, and Jake Toolson, it made some great additions in the offseason, including Purdue transfer Matt Haarms, freshman Caleb Lohner, and we’ll finally get to see Wyatt Lowell in action. Plus, you’ve got guys like Alex Barcello and Kolby Lee returning.
Last season, BYU finished 24-8 overall and 13-3 in conference. Due to COVID, Wednesday’s game against Westminster, which might normally be an exhibition game, will count towards BYU’s overall record. The Griffins were 16-12 overall, 11-11 in conference (Rocky Mountain Athletic, Division II) play.
Only the families of players and coaches will be able to attend the game in person, so here’s how you can watch (you can also sign up to be a virtual fan, at this link):
- Wed. Nov. 25, 6:00 p.m. MT
- Marriott Center, Provo, UT
TV Broadcast Team:
- Dave McCann (play-by-play)
- Blaine Fowler (analyst)
Pre and Post-Game Shows:
- Countdown to Tipoff starts 30 min prior to the game (5:30 p.m. MT) on BYUtv - “Countdown to Tipoff will gear you up for the BYU men’s basketball game and unleash your Cougar pride.”
- Basketball Postgame will begin on BYUtv immediately following the BYU Basketball game. “Relive your favorite plays from the BYU men’s basketball game.”
Leave any thoughts from before, during, or after the game in the comments below.