BYU announced Friday afternoon they will have 8 captains — 4 on each side of the ball — for the 2020 season.
- Matt Bushman (TE) — Senior
- Lopini Katoa (RB) — Junior
- Brady Christensen (OL) — Junior
- James Empey (OL) — Junior
- Khyiris Tonga (DL) — Senior
- Isaiah Kaufusi (LB) — Senior
- Troy Warner (DB) — Senior
- Zayne Anderson (DB) — Senior
BYU also announced 8 additional players on the team’s leadership council.
- Chris Wilcox (DB) — Senior
- Bracken El-Bakri (DL) — Senior
- Zach Wilson (QB) — Senior
- Gunner Romney (WR) — Junior
- Neil Pau’u (WR) — Junior
- Lorenzo Fauatea (DL) — Junior
- Baylor Romney (QB) — Junior
- Payton Wilgar (LB) — Sophomore
BYU didn’t have team captains last year and instead used “game captains” that rotated each week. Kalani always had team captains previously, so last year appears to be a one-season anomaly.
BYU opens the season Monday night, 8pm EST on ESPN at Navy.