clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

BYU vs Michigan Recap: Cougars drilled by Wolverines

Cougars are shut out in the Big House

Rick Osentoski-USA TODAY Sports

In a game that many viewed as vitally important to this season, BYU was shut out 31-0 against Michigan for the first time since 2003.  The Cougars came out flat and never got better as the game went on.  The offense never got going and the defense was gashed through on the ground which opened up some passing lanes for graduate transfer Jake Rudock.

After both teams went three and out to start the game, Michigan reeled off four straight touchdown drives while BYU's offense really struggled in ever aspect.  The lack of defensive line depth really hurt the defense as Michigan accumulated 448 yards of total offense, including 254 of them on the ground.  Rudock looked calm and comfortable in the pocket throwing for 194 yards and a touchdown and rushing for two more scores.

The Cougars once against struggled to finish their tackles allowing Michigan running back De'Veon Smith to run ran for 126 yards on 16 carries and a touchdown. A majority of Smith's yards came after contact.

The BYU offense only had 105 total yards of offense.  Quarterback Tanner Mangum was under constant pressure and only completed 12 of his 28 attempts for 55 yards.  The rushing game didn't do much either as there were only 50 yards on the ground.  The offensive line looked completely overmatched in both pass protection and in the running game.

Overall, this is a game that BYU fans will want to forget and BYU coaches will look to make improvements for the rest of the season.

One positive note is that the defense only gave up around 150 yards in the second half and no scores.  I'm not sure if this was due to improvements by the defense or Michigan being conservative, or most likely, a combination of both.  Now the Cougars will get to play at home a little more and the schedule should get easier which means that a very successful season is still in play.

BYU football is back in action next Friday at 8:15 p.m. against UConn.