clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

BYU Soccer: Another road trip, another 1-1 record.

After losing big on Thursday, the Cougars came back and earned three points with a win on Saturday.

BYU players celebrate after being Las Vegas
BYU players celebrate after being Las Vegas
Abigail Keenan

After another week on the road, the Cougars earned three points in the standings and came home 1-1 on the week, and 2-2 on the road trip.  With the three points earned with the win, the Cougars now stand in second place in the Mountain Division of the PDL.  FC Tucson leads the division with 19 points to the Cougars 18.  The Cougars are still in the hunt for the lead, but will need to play much better than they did this last week in order to keep pace.

Fresno Fuego

With a disappointing performance on the road, the Cougars fell to the Fresno Fuego for their second loss on the year.  The teams stayed tied for the first part of the half, but in the 19th minute, Abraham Campos pushed a header past BYU and into the net.  The game became chippy throughout the game and yellow cards were handed out like candy.  Anthony Salciccia for Fresno and Junior Lartey for BYU both received cards for unsporting behavior in the first half.  Jon Junca for the Cougars started off the second half with a card for a hard tackle and Abraham Campos for Fresno was awarded a yellow late in the game for taking out a Cougar player.  BYU freshman Andrew Dossett was awarded a red card and escorted off the field in the 81st minute due to violent misconduct.

The second half was when Fresno took control of the game as the Cougars allowed Paul Islas to score in the 66th minute and the 79th minute.  In both losses the Cougars have allowed a player to score more than one goal.  The final goal came in the 87th minute as JP Medina scored off a cross and giving the Fuego the 4-0 win.


San Jose Earthquakes

After another Thursday loss, the Cougars wanted to come back and end their road trip with a win.  The Cougars had their chances early, but some good defense from both teams kept the game scoreless until the 34th minute.  A number of shots were blocked or kicked wide before Winston Sorhaitz gave BYU the 1-0 lead.  Just three minutes later the Cougars hit the back of the net again when Sorhaitz to a pass from Scott Heaton and BYU was up 2-0 going into the second half.  The second half was more defense from both teams, but the Cougars allowed one goal in the final half as they walked out with a win and three points in the standings.

Next Game:

The Cougars will have a 17 day break between games as their next game is at home on Tuesday June 24th at 7:30pm at South Field.  The Cougars will play the Real Colorado Foxes.